Corona Virus Update – Approach Day Group Closure
Following the most recent government advice we have made the difficult decision to close all Approach Day Care Groups by the end of this week (20th March 2020). As the recommendation is for people over 70 to isolate for the next 12 weeks, it would now seem to be unsafe to continue to bring people into groups.
The Approach 1-2-1 Dementia My Day My Way will continue for as long as we are able, though support staff will now be offering home based activities.
We are working with our staff to identify group members who may need individual support during this period and we will try and adapt to offer our assistance and also link people in with the appropriate care agencies.
We really are in unprecedented times, but we are working hard to ensure that we can continue to offer as much help, support and advice for anyone in North Staffordshire/ Stoke affected by dementia.
For clarity the government advice is:
- Anyone with a fever or persistent cough should stay at home for 14 days. This measure also extends to anyone who lives with someone displaying coronavirus symptoms. People who have to isolate themselves should ask others for help to deal with everyday necessities.
- Everyone has been asked to stop non-essential contact with others. This is particularly important for those aged over 70, people with underlying health conditions and pregnant women.
- People should work from home where they can and should avoid places like pubs, clubs and theatres. This applies especially to those in London which is said to be “a few weeks ahead” of the rest of the UK in the spread of the virus.
- People should stop all unnecessary travelling.
- By the weekend, those with the most serious health conditions should be largely shielded from social contact for 12 weeks.
Our main focus at Approach is to ensure all of our group members have support in place, if you have any questions or concerns please contact your Group Officer or phone the main Approach office on: 01782 214999
We will be updating our information on a regular basis, please continue to check our website/ social media.